September 20, 2009

Douce of an Expert

September 20th, 1897
My dear Raymond and Joe


Those were splendid letters you wrote to me from Criccieth, dated August 25th. They were long, and interesting, and well, and carefully written.

What a splendid swim you two boys and Uncle Joe must have had on that rough day at Criccieth. Didn't you feel proud when the Photographer came and asked to have the honour of taking your portraits. I looked eagerly for them in the Illustrated London News on the Graphic. What paper were they put in? Do tell me. Never mind my chuff my boys. I was just as proud myself, when I was a boy, and when we were at Dover or some other place, we would bathe when no one else would venture in the water. I remember how proud I felt when the people crowded on the esplanade and looked at those daring swimmers (ahem), and then, didn't we show off, and do all sorts of wonderful things? Well a few! But soberly my dear boys, it is not well to be to venturesome. The sea is always treacherous, and you should always be prudent and careful when dealing with her. Better to err on the side of prudence than to be too rash.

Are those Bicycles of yours good? They seem to me, to have a way of getting out of order. It must have been a splendid ride you had Raymond out to Carnarvon. How I should like to see those foaming white cascades, roaring down the mountains. What a splendid place Kimberley would be if we only had a few cascades, and some mountains handy, for them to roar down. Poor Joe! That confounded bicycle of yours prevented you from going on that ride. I hope you soon got it in order & that you too, enjoyed some good rides through that beautiful country. I am glad you have read the "English Mechanic". What is it Raymond? A book or a magazine? Your talk about cylinders & flanges and castings, knocked me quite into a cocked hat. I was out of my depth at once. Well I hope your steam engine will be a success it will certainly be an experience whether it succeeds or not. I do not think MacGregor will go in for pigs just yet but if he does, I will give him some money & buy you both a partnership. It must have been very nice for you boys chaps to have had your Uncle Joe with you; and I am sure you must have learnt a great deal from hearing him talk.

Bless your innocent heart Joe! Why I cycle every day. I am the douce of an expert, and can go up hill and down hill and anyhow. Why the other other day I dived head first off the bicycle. I don't want to do that often. Just fancy you noticing the Japanese girl on the steamer! With her hair done up in a knot on the top of her head & her hat stuck on top of the knot! Caesars Ghost! What next. That is a most accurate description of her. No Joe, I did not put that paragraph in the paper. I don't know who did. Some one must have heard me telling someone else, and then run away to the newspaper office & put it in. I have not seen Hubert yet but when I see him I will congratulate him for you. Mr Omeara says he will believe you to will write to him when he sees the letter. He has left the compound & has been promoted to the survey office. Next Februrary he hopes to pass his examination in practical surveying. He will then be a fully fledged government surveyor. See what study & hard work can do! Gypsy has got another lot of pups. They were born yesterday. I have not seen them yet. She has them under one of the guards rooms, in the passage. There must be three, judging from the little whimpers I have heard.

Yes my boy, you can have a dog if you like, but get a dog not a bitch. Bitches are always troublesome with their puppies. You had better get one between you. What do you think? Gypsy is not a bad dog herself, but her pups are the most awful mongrels that ever were pupped. What a splendid trip you must have had, Raymond, to the Black rock. But was it not very dangerous going into the caves in your canoe & shipping those seas? You boys must cultivate more prudence. God bless you my dear boys. Kind regards to sir Edmund &Mr Milne your loving father

Frank Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment