March 28, 2010

Avoid bad boys

Kimberley March 28th 1898

My dear Joe

I received your last, short, interesting, but very badly written letter, of March 9th, a few days ago. You must have awful pens at Seafield park. You used to write very nicely some time ago, but lately you seem to have adopted a new style of penmanship, which is not an improvement on the old. Perhaps you do not give yourself time, and write too fast. Until your hand is formed - that is for several years yet - you must take pains and always try and write your best - write slowly. Perhaps you are endeavouring to imitate Sir Edmond Currie's handwriting. Now for heavens sake don't do that; more awful writing than Sir Edmund's I have seldom seen. That is from the point of view of legibility. Your report also says "Dictation improved - writing slovenly"!


Your report, which I received this mail, is a very good one, and I am very pleased with it. In every thing your masters report well, and Mr. Milne puts in a note supplementing your mathematical master's report, saying, you "work very well and have made good progess." Sir Edmund, or his secretary, (who I imagine must be a chicken, with one of his toes dipped in ink,) has scratched something at the end of the report. After much patient study, and painful investigation, I find that the scratching means, "Is working very well." Now all this is very satisfactory and pleases me; for it shows me you are working well, and doing your best.

Besides working hard, I hope you are trying to give a good example, and maintain the good character you have already won. Remember always to avoid bad boys, no matter how pleasant they may appear. Never be ashamed to show your disapproval of evil, whether in conversation, or deed. If you hear boys talking about things you would not care to have your mother or sister hear, quietly go away. There is no need to make any parade about it - just go away. Do not make friends with a fellow that goes in for dirty talk. You can be civil to him, but don't choose him for a companion. Even the worst of boys will learn to respect you, if your life, and conversation are clean and pure. They may not like you, but they will respect you. I hope you are regular in going to church, and in attending to your religious duties.

Do you still go out biking; and how have your bicycles lasted? Do they still give satisfaction?
Gypsy's pup has grown very much & gets uglier every day. Whether it will develop into a dog, or an overgrown Australian Bug, is still a matter of doubt. We shall see, anon.

I have not yet been able to get the three cornered stamp for you. In the parcel addressed to you and Raymond, there is a one "lot" of bracelts for you, one lot for Raymond, and one for Mary. I have labeled marked them. In case the labels come off. The lot with the fine bracelets in, is for Mary. The Chowries are for you and Raymond & the Jackal tail for Mary. Tell Mother, I will send her some, soon. I sometimes see O'Meara but not often now, and he always enquires after you and Raymond.

There was a small thunderstorm to day, and the night is cold, and wintry.

I hope you will enjoy your holidays, and take Mother to some nice place in the country, where she can be coddled up, and rest after all her travels. Poor little Mary too, will want a rest, and a change - you know, she has been working very hard. God bless you my dear boy. Kiss dear Mother & Mary for me.

Your loving father
Frank Mandy


No comments:

Post a Comment