April 17, 2012

What a pity it was you fell in the hurdle race

Kimberley Club,
Kimberley.
undated
My dear Joe

I received you letter of March 17th on last Thursday. You know by this time all about the English Cricketers and the way they wiped all our best bats and bowlers in the mud. Only the school boys of the Cape beat them.

You are right about Trott. They always called him the "Australian" out here.
What a pity it was you fell in the hurdle race. Your college chaps don't seem to be up to very much, when they let only you and Raymond compete for the Hurdle race and the cricket ball; and are obliged to Handicap Raymond in putting the shot.

I hope you will enjoy your Easter Holidays and have lots of fun.

Gypsy has been sick, but is much better although not quite well.

I saw Malachy Carrol yesterday. He looks thin and peaky. For a long time he was ill, but is now quite well. He will have to eat a lot of pudding before he swells out into his original form. Poor Mr. Dodds is very bad — always getting worse and worse

I hope you succeeded in winning something at the sports.

The weather is beastly and cool. all that delightfully hot weather, with the temperature about 98 or 103 in the shade, has departed. And now we are having cool days — so cool that one can hardly get into a decent perspiration without walking more than twenty yards! The consequence is half Kimberley have colds and influenzas. I am quite well in spite of the cool weather. God bless you my dear boy.

Your loving father
Frank Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment