KIMBERLEY CLUB,
KIMBERLEY.
November 29th 1897
My dear Raymond and JoeI don't like writing these mean shabby letters to you both on one piece of paper. But what can I do, when things are put off till the last moment? You must put up with it for the present, & hope for better things, & a reformation in this respect.
Hooroosh! Raymond; more power to you; let me congratulate you, first on the result of your examinations, and next on winning your football colours. Your letter came all right, after all, last week. It must have been mislaid at the post office, for it was delivered to me three days after I got the others.
You must have enjoyed yourself at Portsmouth Dock yard, in spite of your disappointment, at not seeing any machinery; and you must have enjoyed that tenpenny lunch of Gingerbread & buns and your threepenny cigar. What a howling swell you must have thought yourself as you swaggered around with that cigar in your mouth. Mr Begbie starts for Mashonaland next Wednesday. He is going to look after DeBeer's Cos. properties in that country. Did I tell you he had received the Distinguished Service Order, for his bravery during the Matabeels war? It is a great honour. I am very glad & feel proud, that you came out so well in your examinations. As you say "it is encouraging". Go ahead my boy, and as you say work "systematically".
I hope your cold is better Joe, & that it did not give you much trouble and annoyance. Colds are beastly nuisances. Try and steer clear of them. You must be careful when you cycle in cold weather, not to get a chill after being heated. The results of your examinations are very satisfactory.
I hope you and Raymond attend regularly to your religious duties and never neglect to say your prayers. The must have been a lovely ride by moonlight from Southhampton in the frosty cold. But it must have been that, that brought on the sore throat & the snuffles.
Every one in Kimberley is playing cricket now. There are matces every Wednesday & Saturday. I often stand and watch the Undenom boys playing their matches on the exhibition ground. But I don't know any of the boys except Roper. Gypsy is quite well, and often wants to go home with me. I do not let him follow me, for fear the dog catchers will get him.
God bless you my dear boys I hope you are both in good health Remember me kindly to sir Edmund and Mr Milne. Your loving father.
Frank Mandy
No comments:
Post a Comment