I intend to post here a series of letters sent from my great grandfather while he was in Kimberley South Africa to his family in the UK. The letters date from 1897 to 1903. My intention is to post one or two per month which is about the pace at which he wrote them.
It is unfortunate that I have only one half of the correspondence. My Grandfather saved all of these letters from Frank which he bound into a book. I found it on a bookshelf in my Grandmother's house after her death in 1997, 100 years later.
I will try to transcribe these as accurately as possible. There are some odd spellings, which may be archaic and when he strikes out a word, if I can read it, I will include it striked out. Words in red are ones where I couldn't make out the spelling. I may correct these as I go. Frank sometimes wrote asides in the header, footer or margins with his initials F.M., I include these in italics.
I find the stories in these letters fascinating and wanted to preserve them by transcribing them here. I hope there are others who will find these as interesting as I do, enjoy!
Adrian Mandy
No comments:
Post a Comment