August 30, 2009

Welsh Pens

Remember me most kindly to Sir Edmund Hay-Currie and Mr. Milne
FM
Kimberley Club,
Kimberley
August 30th, 1897
My Dear Joe,

I received your nice little letter, written on Aug 5th, from some place in North Wales, with a name I can not only pronounce, nor even read. I have studied it as written by you, as written by Raymond as written by Mary, and as written by Mother. But it beats me; I dare say it is easy enough, but you must all have written with Welsh pens, for blow me! if I can even read the name. That pen of yours must have been a beast, its spelling was awful in places. For instance your pen wrote, that the front tyre of your bicycle was "cracced". I presume you really meant to write "cracked," but the welsh pen had a way of spelling all its own. After all, this is the only bad spell in your letter. I think you have improved very much in spelling, my boy; and if you had written with an English pen, you would not have made even that single mistake.

Gyspy is very well; she is going to have pups again! All the other pups are either dead or given away. Poor little dog! She knew me quite well, the first time she saw me after my return. She came wagging her tail, and squirming around, and then threw herself on her back for me to stroke her belly. She always looks out for me, when I come to the compound, and follows me round; but I never allow her to come outside. with me. She has no ticket, and therefore must not go into the streets.

I am very sorry you found your bicycle tyre cracked. I hope it is all right, & that the "Ormond" people sent you a good one at once. I wish I was with you all. I believe we would have great fun, for I am a swell cyclist now, and every day it gets easier. I can go up hills even against the wind! Twice every day, I ride out round the gardens, up Du Toits pan road as far as the Tram Station, round by Covreys, down Belgravia, round the gardens again, up du Doits pan Road, all over again the same way, and then down, past the the "Undenom" schools, over de Beers bridge, and up to the compound. Then I have to go and get into dry things.
Du Toits pan road Kimberley, South Africa

What a swell you will be with your gold watch. You will have to be very careful with it because it is very old, and easily gets out of order. But is is a good watch, and only wants care.

How I should enjoy going out blackberrying with you, and boating & sailing, and cycling and walking. Exploring the old castles, and climbing Snowdon would be great fun and then the fishing! Why can I not be there with you all. But no, you are there, I am here. This is what in Euclid is called an axiom - a self evident fact. "No man can be in two places at once."

Kimberley is so dull and dreary! It is not pleasant to have no home. I wander around like a bear with a sore tail - I can't keep still.

The English Association Footballers are here. You will find an account of the first match in Raymond's letter. Yesterday (Sunday) they all came to the Compound, & I entertained them with war dances and sorts of dances; and the Compound Jubilee singers sang songs for them. It was a grand show, and they were all delighted. A large number of ladies came, and other people also and there was a large crowd of visitors in the Compound. I was very tird after it all, but that was put right by a good night's sleep. I was very pleased with your reports; they were very satisfactory. When you get back to school work hard - do not smoke, avoid bad boys, say your prayers - go to church & your duties pay attention to everything Raymond tells you remember he is your elder brother and very sensible. Always do what he advises.















No comments:

Post a Comment