June 5, 2010

slantindicular lines

What a shabby letter I have written to you! FM
Kimberley Club,
Kimberley.
June 5th, 1898
My dear Joe
Again I have to write to you without glasses. I grow blinder and blinder and glasses are now almost indispensable. So whatever faults you may find in writing and spelling - in composition, and in slantindicular lines, please put them all down to the my defective vision, and the absence of glasses. In order to see what I write I have to sit such a dooce of a way off, that it is most awkward.


Your last letter from Seafield dated — by the same token it was undated, so I can't tell you the precise date. I must have been in the neighbourhood of May 13th because that was the date of Raymonds letter. It was the first you had written after your return from Seafield Malvern In your letters tell me more of your work, and how you succeed at that.

I think it was very risky for you to have gone so far from land when that squall came on. It was all very well for you to have felt confident that you could have swum to the shore in case of a capsize. But don't let this confidence lead you to be reckless of danger. It was prudent of you to return when you did. So be careful my dear boy when you are on the water, and don't run into needless danger. I am glad you and Raymond have such a nice room. You will have space to keep your collections of butterflies and eggs. I suppose you make the cabinets you require for your various collections. Try and make real good collections. Do the thing thoroughly, and study the habits, names, and differences between the various species. If you do this, and read useful books about birds and butterflies "et id genus omne". (If you don't know it I must tell you that is latin). Ask someone to tell you what it means.

You will be glad to hear Gypsy is quite well & has not produced any more interesting specimens of Natural History in the shape of pups lately. God bless you my dear boy. Your loving father
Frank Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment