July 9, 2010

Mr. Rhodes is in Kimberley

De Beers Consolidated Mines. Limited.
The cold is awful it would astonish country chaps like you FM
Kimberley July 9th 1898
My dear Raymond and Joe

The mail is again late. Some slow old tub must have brought it out this time. The letters were delivered only this morning in Kimberley. Mine are at the head office still, and I shall not get them until I go up  at 12 o'clock.

My influenza has left me and I am quite well again, with just a little cough left as a remembrance.


For the last week I have not ridden my bicycle, and make my way about in my spider. McGregor drives me round. I have a very handsome sturdy little dark blue pony: "dark blue schimmel" is what we call such a colour in this country. I don't know how English people describe it very dark "roan" I think. I know John Bulls don't talk of "Blue" horses.

McGregor calls for me about half past seven in the morning and drives me to the Convict station. He waits until I have finished what I have to do, and then drives me to the Compound where I have breakfast and attend to business there until 10 o'clock. Then he drives me back to the convict station and leaves me there. At 12 o'clock the Secretary's cart calls for me, and I drive to the Head Office with the Diamonds, accompanied by two armed and mounted men who ride behind and form an escort. At one o'clock McGregor meets me with the "spider" and drives me down to Mrs Mortons where I have lunch. At half past two he again comes to meet me and I am driven to the compound where I stay until half past three, when he drives me to the convict station. At four I am driven to the outstation a the pulsator, where I have to inspect things and then back to the main convict station. Here he leaves me until half past six when he again calls and drives me home to Mrs Morton's in time for dinner, and work is over for the day. This is my daily routine. Until last week I did it on my bicycle, and enjoyed the exercise.

July 11th Monday morning, On Saturday at midday I got my letters.

I am glad to hear Joe has done so well in Algebra, but I have not received your reports yet.

What bunch of flowers, did I leave at the hotel at Lee on Solent? I remember the Landlady cutting me a beautiful bunch of flowers, which (I think) you left (I mean Joe) in the train at Brockhurst.

Be careful of the strawberries and don't eat too many.

I hope your bicycle is all right Joe and bothers you no more with falling off pedals. I know what a nuisance that sort of thing is. When I was learning, and using a strong brute of a machine that Bodley lent me; the only fault the creature had was a worn out pedal screw. The beastly thing was always coming off. At last I had a new screw made, and all went well ever after.

Mr. Rhodes is in Kimberley, he looks very well although he has just recovered from a severe attack of influenza.
Cecil Rhodes

He told me the other day he was coming to see me soon. I thought of course he wanted to see the compound so I told him Sunday was the best day. He said "no I don't want to see the compound I want to see you". I wonder what the dooce he wants. If he wishes to borrow money, I'm afraid he'll be disappointed. because I've got none.

God bless you my dear boys
Your loving father
Frank Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment