July 4, 2010

A new diamond mine had been discovered

Kimberley July 4th 1898
My dear Raymond

Your last letter undated - reached me last Thursday. I hope your "face ache" "Jawache" of "Neuralga" (decidedly not correct in spelling) is all right. You must have caught cold in your teeth. Mine have been troubling also of late. When I drink a mouth full of cold water, my teeth all sing out in protest - and the uproar they make is not harmonious. Teeth are bothersome things, and only useful to eat with.


I hope your groom liked the taste of your little puppy's tail. Your row up Southampton water, and back, must have been grand.

Continuation of the story begun in Joe's letter of the same date.
- With a bark of frantic delight he plunged into the pool, and siezed the dynamite charge just as it was sinking. In tremendous glee he swam to shore with it, paying no heed to the smoking fizzing end of the fuse. Proud of his achievement, he rushed up to his masters, who tried to deprive him of his prize. More and more delighted with his lark, he dodged, and ran in short circles round them. They were frantic with fright, and knowing that very little of the minute remained they turned about, put their noses towards home, and ran si if the devil were behind them. The happy dog had never had such fun. After them he flew, jumping at their heels with joy indescribable. They yelled and scooted off at right angles.  But that merry light hearted dog frisked close behind, with that charge of dynamite and the now very short fuse, still smoking and fizzing. The two police men put on a frantic spurt. They succeeded in getting a few yards ahead, the minute was up - bang - !!!

The dog - oh where was he?

A few days after, those policemen procured another pup and no one wondered at its curious name. They christened it "Smithereens"!

I have got a taste of influenza again, and am taking a rest. I can't say I feel particularly bright, but I might be worse. On Saturday I had a tremendous day. At ten o'clock in the morning I was sent for by the Directors & asked if I could provide one hundred boys for work in the Free State, by 4:30 pm I never say no - so boldly said yes. Then I received my instructions. A new Diamond Mine had been discovered ner Cronstadt, in the Free Stat. It had been offered to the De Beers Co. for sale and they were told they could work upon it for 6 weeks, with their own boys, to test the richness of the ground. What a job I had. All the boys in the Compound were frightened to go to the free state. Frightened of the Boers and the cat-o-nine tails. I slaved away, however, and got my 100 boys in time and shipped them off by the train that afternoon. I marched them from the compound to the railway station in military formation, four deep, with the band playing in front. The band consisted of concertina, guitar and flageolet. The sensation was immense all went off happily, but I caught the influenza.

God bless you my dear boy
your loving father
Frank Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment