September 12, 2010

Never smoke before breakfast, and don't smoke in bed

De Beers Consolidated Mines. Limited.
Kimberley Sept 12th 1898
My dear Joe

Your last letter came earlier in the week than usual. On Thursday morning I got my letters. I hope you have survived the heat. By the telegrams I see it still continues and water has become very scarce in some parts. Is there any fear of the Thames drying up? Is it true you left Teddington because there was not enough water in the river to row upon?


I should have liked to see you three duffers. Raymond, you, and Petroloviski, or Sobreski, or Ivanackson, or Jacksonoski or whatever that American polo playing piano or rather piano playing Pole chose to call himself. I don't think I should have cared to be in the punt. You must have made it spin round & round in your frantic efforts to push the durned thing along. How wet you must have got with the water trickling down the punt pole! How many poles did you break?

I don't know how big you are, but I suppose you are a pretty big fellow. With regard to you beard and moustache Mary says you have about three fairly long hairs on your chin, and a little down on your lip. However, people might give you credit for both in the dark. I accept implicitly your statement about being in long trousers and wearing "stick ups".

So smoking has become a necessity. Well you tell me how it comes to be a necessity. You must have been smoking already.

Well my dear boy you have my permission to smoke in moderation. On condition you never smoke cigarettes you can smoke a pipe. But mind, do not abuse it, it is very bad for the wind. Confine youself to a stated number of pipes each day. Never smoke before breakfast, and don't smoke in bed. Four pipes each day is a good allowance.

You must excuse this letter I am in a hurry, because I cannot go to the club tonight to write.

God bless you my dear boy
Your loving father
Frank Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment