October 3, 2011

You ought to hear how I brag about you

Kind regards to Sir Edmund & Mr. Milne. FM
Kimberley Club,
Kimberley.
Oct 3rd 1898
My dear Raymond & Joe,

Your last letters from Cromer, which inadvertently were undated, came early last week. They must have been written about Sept 9th; for that was the date of Mother's and Mary's, letters by the same mail. How I should have liked to have been there with you to go out fishing and catch heaps of codlings & lings and dabchicks - I mean sanddabs - and rock whiting. Gwock! your descriptions of it all, made my mouth water. It ran down the sides of my mouth - just as you see it run down from a pointer, who is watching someone eating.



I hope you gave Mother lots of fun down there, and took great care of her. What fun it must have been having Mary to keep house for you! I hope you did not grumble. I know, you told me in your letters Raymond, that she made a capital house keeper. But you said you did not tell her so! I think you ought to have given her some encouragement, and praised her now and then.

Joe! I did not mean what I said; I was only chaffing. I was pleased with the results of your examination. Both of you did capitally and I am very proud of my two boys. You ought to hear how I brag about you. Yesterday I had a chat with Mr. Wilkes. He was enquiring about you and was very pleased to hear how well you had both done. He said he missed you both, last week at the school sports.

Gumpie Haddock & Richards & Charlie Carrol often enquire about you. Mr. Omeara came and asked me for your address last week - so I concluded he was going to write to one of you - which I wonder? Don't speak all at once. I have some stamps, but always forget to put them in my pocket on mail nights. Are you collecting yet? They are principally Chartered Company & Transvaal stamps but among them are two Lorenco Marques (Delagoa Bay) stamps.

Raymond, your "scamp" at this end, is looking splendid. I saw him today. He know me at once, and frisked & jumped about me, leaving the marks of his muddy paws on my trousers and coat. Gypsy, Joe, is as ugly as ever, and always comes to say how do you do, whenever I go into the Compound - wags her tail squirms her body round and finally falls on her back and shows me her black belly. I suppose you are back at school now. Work hard and strive to please all your masters.

God bless you my dear boys
Your loving father
Frank Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment