February 6, 2012

Sebele the chief of the Bakwenas; whom I knew when he was a young man and long before he was a chief, visited the compound yesterday

Kimberley Feb 6th 1899
My dear Raymond and Joe

Your letter from Bournemouth, just as your holidays were drawing to an end, reached me last Thursday. And now, I suppose you are back at school, working hard again. You seem to have had a jolly time at Bournemouth between the winter garden and dancing at your boarding house. I suppose you bathed and boated and walked, and cycled about the country on fine days; although you don't say anything about these things in your letters. Did you make any excursions into the country — have any picnics — go fishing, and have any of the fun you had last year at Southsea or Cromer, or Criceieth? Or did you spend your days loafing about the streets and parady of Bournemouth? I should like to have heard how you spent your days. I only heard how you spent one day Raymond; when you took the "American Girl" for a bicycle ride round Bournemouth, and "had a splendid time".
However you seem to have enjoyed yourself so I suppose you went in for all the things I have named, but did not think it worth while mentioning, or describing them. But these are the things I like to hear about. I like to know all your fun, and enjoyments.

My bicycle has "bust", the tyre is punctured and every amateur attempt to rectify the damage has been in vain. Whether it is the the heat of the weather — bad solution or a want of knowledge in putting on the patch — I don't know. But the beastly thing blows off as soon as it is blown up. I have not been able to ride for nearly a week. I must send the brute to Bodley's to be repaired.

On Friday Gardner Williams had and awful spill off his Bicycle. He rubbed his face on the ground and gravel rashed his forehead cut the knuckle of his fore finger rather badly, barked the back of his thumb; rasped all the skin off his left knee, strained his right shoulder and his left hip. He and his son were riding down Du Toits pan road, when he got mixed up with the tram line. The machine skidded then bucked and wiped the ground with him. He said he didn't feel inclined to get up; he would rather have laid where he was and rested. His clothes were all torn & he was covered with blood. I went to see him yesterday and condoled with him. I came to grief once in the same place in the same way; but did not hurt myself so badly.

Sebele the chief of the Bakwenas; whom I knew when he was a young man and long before he was a chief, visited the compound yesterday. He remembered me at once, and seemed very glad to see me. He had been "looking upon the wine when it was red", before he made his visit — at least he smelt very strong of Boer Brandy. He is a splendid specimen of a savage, and very like his old father Sechele. To the great amusement of the "boys" he would put his arm over my shoulders as he walked about the compound. The old gentleman enjoyed his visit and collected quite a respectable sum of money from his people. God bless you my dear boys. Kind regards to Sir Edmund & Mr. Milne.

Your loving father
Frank Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment