Kimberley Club,
Kimberley.
Feb 27th 1899
My dear Raymond and JoeYour last letters date Feb 3rd reached me on Friday. I hope you are working steadily Raymond. The one thing you should always bear in mind is that you are working with an object. Your whole future depends on what you do now; and it is a most serious matter. I suppose you have already had skating. It was very foolish of you to continue playing after your foot was hurt. I thought you had more sense. So you are in the first Hockey team Joe. Are you a crack player?
That might have been an awful accident when the dynamo went wrong. What a mercy no one was in the dynamo room. A thunderstorm in Kimberley is a fool to the ructions that went on when that engine went racing and the sparks flew round. There must have been thunderbolts lightning flashes aurora borealis and many other fearsome phenomena taking place all at once. I think you said a thunderbolt or a pully block or something went flying round destroying everything in its path. I am glad you two chaps were not handy anyhow.
When I can get them, Raymond, I will send you the Chowries & bangles. All I had I gave to Brother Mullin for his bazaar in and of the Christian Brother's schools.
The English cricketers have been and gone. They played against the Griqualand West XV on Tuesday and Wednesday; & gave them a most unmerciful beating with an innings to spare. Kimberley's second innings was an absolute farce. Six men went out with ducks eggs. The English had five professionals. They are all good bowlers; but one man named Trott is a demon. No one could do anything with him and he made the stumps and bails fly. I did not go to see the match, although all Kimberley was there.
The weather was red hot and the Englishmen had a proper roasting. I saw very little of the team. Th only one I knew was lord Hawke himself.
God bless you my dear boys
Kind regards to Sir Edmund and Mr. Milne. I hope your ankle is all right again Raymond
Your loving father
Frank Mandy
No comments:
Post a Comment