Kimberley Club,
Kimberley.
January 1st 1899
My dear little Mary, Raymond and Joe.The old year has gone and today is the beginning of a new one. I wish you all very many happy New Years; and may this coming new year be the beginning of a succession of Happy Years for you all.
Yesterday evening I went with the Mortons to Beaconsfield and spent the evening at Dr. and Mrs Stansby's. We had dinner there and then remained to see the old year out and the new year come in. Just before twelve I had to go out with food and drink in my hand; and when midnight tolled I knocked at the front door and entered the house. I then walked right through followed by everyone; out of the back door and round to the front again. This is an old scotch ceremony which is supposed to bring luck. We then wished each other a Happy New Year and drank each other's healths in claret cup. Altogether it was a pleasant evening. Part of the time the Revd. Mr. Woodman was there, but he went early because he had to conduct a service at the church which commenced at half past eleven and finished at five minutes past twelve. Then in the cool early morning under the twinkling stars we drove back to Kimberley and at half past one I got to bed.
Mary thank you for the lovely cigarette case you sent to me. It is a beauty and it is much admired by everyone. The cigarettes too are perfectly delicious. It was very good of you to think of getting it for me. I have often felt the want of one of these very convenient holders of cigarettes. I will be able to put on any amount of side now, when I hand my case round and ask my friends to have a cigarette. It is very convenient for stamps also. Hitherto I have always put my stamps loose into my waistcoat pocket. The heat and perspiration of the body melted the gum and the stamps always stuck fast to the inside of the pocket and were ruined. Thereby I lost many a penny and twopence halfpenny. For the future I will put my stamps into the beautiful case you sent me and not only save money but have a stamp when I want one.
Raymond and Joe, the ties you sent me are very elegant and nice. I am wearing one now. This morning I arrayed my self in my new suit of clothes (the light one) put on one of your white silk ties, put Mary's cigarette case in my pocket and sallied forth a tremendous masher. i made a great sensation for people do not often see me well–dressed.
Tomorrow I will hunt O'Meara up and give him your parcel. It was nice of you to think of sending him something.
What a swagger foot baller you must be Raymond to be chosen as a reserve 3/4 for the county of Hampshire against the Midland counties. I hope it will not mak you stuck up. Even if you don't play it is a great thing to be chosen as a reserve.
And so Joe you won your cap and colours in the match against that "murderous" Portsmouth team. I hope you wont have to play against many such rough fellows. That piece of poetry you sent me about the fellow who sent his love some verses cut from a newspaper on the other side of which was a divorce case was very good. You should have heard Mr. Coghlan roar when I read them to him.
I hope you will both do well in the examinations.
The weather is awful and the heat almost unbearable. The sun pours down almost intolerable rays of heat and the rain, it raineth not. Mosquitos too are the very devil. They are worse than ever I have known them. Locusts are still with us. The latest comers are the big red–winged ones who when they come, stay.
Kiss dear Mother for me, take her to some nice country place and make her holidays bright and happy. Raymond & Joe kiss little Mary for me. I hope you will all have a Jolly happy holiday and good weather.
God bless you my dear children
You loving father
Frank Mandy
No comments:
Post a Comment