January 9, 2012

Would you like a Zulu shield, some bangles and some chowries?

Kimberley Club,
Kimberley.
January 9th 1899
My dear Raymond

Last mail brought me no letter from you. Something must have prevented you from writing. Mother told me you were about to play some terrific football match against the Trojans of Portsmouth. I hope you went through the match without any hurt. I can't say I like football; but at the same time I suppose boys ought to play it.
When you get this you will be somewhere in the country enjoying your Christmas holidays. I forgot your birthday my dear boy but late as it is, I wish you many happy returns of it and hope you had a happy time. I can't send you anything now — I wish I could. But tell me what you would like and I will try & get it for you. Would you like a Zulu shield, some bangles and some chowries? I will try and send you and Joe some.

The English Cricketers are in South Africa and this month will come to Kimberley to play "our boys". Charlie Carroll will play for Kimberley I believe. Don't you wish you were here to show off some of your skill and prowess.

I have not been able to see Mr O'Meara yet to give him your and Joe's Christmas present. I hope to see him tomorrow when I will give it to him.

No rain has come yet and the weather is — well it is not heavenly. But in spite of the fearful heat the town is very healthy. With the exception of a number of cases of sun stroke (heat apoplexy) there has been very little sickness. I have been remarkably well. Heat always seems to agree with me. Mosquitos are lively and voracious. They prevent you feeling lonely at nights.

God bless you my dear boy. Kiss dear Mother and little Mary for me wish them many happy returns of their respective birthdays. Shake Joe by the paw for me.

Your loving father
Frank Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment