Kimberley Club,
Kimberley.
January 9th 1899
My dear JoeLast mail was also barren as far as a letter from you was concerned; but I suppose something got in the way and prevented you from writing. I do hope you will have a pleasant holiday.
By the bye before I forget it tell Mother to make no mistake about the penny postage to the Cape. The Cape is not in it and letters will cost two pence halfpenny as before. I suppose some day before long we shall participate in the advantages of the imperial penny postage. But at present something blocks the way. I believe it is the postal contract with the Donald Currie and Union line of steamers.
Gypsy has been very ill. Poor little bitch, she nearly died. Dodds — you remember Mr. Dodds — Dodds took care of her and nursed her through the dreadful illness she suffered from. She is now much better though not quite well. Mr. Dodds is very sick now. He has gone to Grahamstown in order to have Dr. Greathead to attend upon him.
Tell Mary her tom cat is beginning to show signs of old age. He has very few teeth left and finds some difficulty in eating lumps of meat. There are two cats at the house now. Tom brought a lady cat who Kittened in the wood house. She has made herself quite at home and Tom is not a bit jealous of her. Her kittens are still quite small and have not yet come out of their next behind some boxes in the wood house. They are very wild and from the glimpses I have caught of them are not much to look at!
I hope your moustache and beard don't trouble you much. What a bore it must be having to shave once a fortnight or once a month. It must take up a lot of your time. God bless you my dear boy kiss Mother & Mary for me and wish them many happy birthdays. Wring Raymonds hand and wish him the same hearty wish.
Your loving father
Frank Mandy
No comments:
Post a Comment